3. Compost Our cleaning chemicals are completely biodegradable.
In harmony with nature
Forward-looking sustainability strategy
The company has long pursued a comprehensive, forward-looking sustainability strategy featuring environmentally compatible and biodegradable ingredients for cleaning products and innovative, recyclable packaging. The entire Werner & Mertz Group is a pioneer for a functioning circular economy far beyond its own industry.
- 1971Founding of Tana-Chemie GmbH
- 1989Creation of Green Care Professional brand
- 2003EMAS-certified production site in Mainz. Followed by Hallein in 2005.
- 2005First EU Ecolabel certification
- 2007First Nordic Swan certification
- 2007Revision of development guidelines and publication of sustainability information for every product
- 2008First bottle with 30% share of recyclate
- 2013First Cradle-to-Cradle® Gold certification for a complete range of cleaning products
- 2014First bottle of 100% Post-Consumer Recyclate
- 2015Cradle to Cradle Products Innovator Award
- 2018Release of the Green Care Performance Calculator
- 2019German Environmental Award für Reinhard Schneider
- 2020German Packaging Award for the first fully recyclable monomaterial pouch
- 202150 years of Werner & Mertz Professional
- 2021Increase in rPET to 50% from the Yellow Bag
- 2021Tana-Chemie GmbH wins EcoVadis Platinum Medal
Doing the right things right
Sustainability is often mistakenly equated with efforts made to reduce pollutants. The process, however, has to begin much earlier so that the pollutants never get into circulation. A genuine circular economy goes even further and involves doing the right things right from the start. We live according to this credo along the entire value chain. The raw materials required for production are kept in biological and technical cycles and used again and again. It starts with the use of renewable energy in the production process and our efficient in-house water treatment and extends to integrally sustainable ingredients in formulas and packaging material made of recyclates.
1. Formulas We use only plant-based surfactants in our sustainable formulas. They contain no critical ingredients or allergens!
2. Product Our products are safe for users and kind to the environment.
4. Plant-based Raw Materials We use renewable, plant-based raw materials.
1. New Packaging We see waste as a resource: Almost all of our packaging is made of recyclable and recycled waste.
2. Use Phase The dosing of our products is simple and resource-sparing.
3. Recycling Simple disposal of empty packaging via the Yellow Bag.
4. Technical Raw Material (recyclates) Sorting and processing yield recyclates that are used to make packaging of high-quality plastic.